Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Song of the Week: The Auteurs "Housebreaker"

Hmmm, I’m struggling a little of the Song of Week. I’ve thought of several songs but none of them have been on YouTube because they either weren’t singles and/or they weren’t that popular. So this week’s Song of the Week will not be using a video, instead I will just direct you towards a site where you can listen to the track – not ideal, but the best I can do.

So this week’s selection is ‘Housebreaker’ by The Auteurs, which is from their debut album New Wave. The Auteurs are the band of singer/songwriter Luke Haines, a man who seems to have been universally hated by the music press. I love this album - it was around the same time I was listening to a lot of Suede and lyrically they cover similar ground of seedy underground life and doomed relationships. At the time, I thought there was a glamour in squalor.

They did a later album called ‘After Murder Park’ which contains a track by the same name and one called ‘Unsolved Child Murder’ but I don’t know that album at all and though a song about breaking and entering might make a nice change.

So here are the lyrics to Housebreaker and if it sounds like you sort of tune, I suggest you can probably here it at Last FM here.

When I first met you
You were not house trained
A backwoods trier
The
world's your oyster
Your time is mine
What's yours is mine all
mine
There's no honour
Amongst thieves
So we worked together
A
varied richand famous crime
You had your motivesI had mine
For a soul to
find
Little piece rub off on mine
Trinkets, memorabilia
Diamonds
for the taking
One mans treasurenever meant a thing
When I was
housebreaking
Took a buckshot landing
From my most famous
client
Must have lost it in the fall
Came away empty handed
When
I first met youI was not housetrained

No comments: