Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Song of the Week: Bob Marley "I Shot the Sheriff"



I was in Spain the week before last and the poolside bar played a lot of Bob Marley. Not the political stuff (I've cleared a pub in the past by putting "Redemption Song" on the jukebox) but the more poppy ones. Which reminded me that I hadn't picked this obvious choice for my Song of the Week.

According to Wikipedia, Marley had wanted the lyrics to say "I shot the Police" but feared the reaction from the Government. The song didn't attract any controversy but there is an interesting article here about why it didn't when compared to "Cop Killer", although it does focus on the Eric Clapton version rather than the Marley original.

2 comments:

Claire said...

That's a really interesting article. The causal effect people seem to attribute to certain types of music doesn't seem to go away, or maybe it'll always be seized on as a moral panic. Wasn't there something on the news fairly recently about EMO music allegedly making young people commit suicide? I think there was a delegation of emo fans at Downing Street to protest at the simplicity of the argument.

I'm glad you do this blog btw, it's nice to come back to when I've stopped reading blogs for a while and then start again.

SandDancer said...

Yes, Emo was briefly causing outrage - I think it was the Daily Mail that were trying to scare people with it.

Thank you for your kind words about the blog. I fear it has slipped recently as I've not had much of a chance to watch television recently, so I've been rather short of inspiration.