Wednesday, January 30, 2008

CSI Miami - Why So Popular?

I'm back on that question again. Why is CSI Miami the most watched programme in the whole world? What is it that people love so much about this show. I know what I don't like about it (I've mentioned it before). Last night I tried to watch it again in the hope of answering this question.

Is it the location? Miami does look pretty good in it, I'll concede that much. Is it the good-looking glamorous people in it? Do viewers enjoy seeing bad things happen to beautiful people in beautiful locations? Is it just a case of schadenfreude?

If CSI Miami was a colour, it would be blue. I was struck last night by how much blue there was on the screen. Not the blue of a flashing police siren or uniform, but the bright blue of the bright blue sky and the bright blue sea, and probably Horatio's eyes too. Surely a crime programme should be the colour red (for blood) or grey or black for the darkness of man's soul? Not bright blue. Waking the Dead wouldn't be blue (its probably a dark red). Cracker wouldn't be blue (definitely black). Dexter would definitely be bright red. Even Monk wouldn't be blue - I think it would be beige. But CSI Miami is definitely blue and blue is not the colour of suspense.

Anyway, even the bright blue was not enough to attract me - I fell asleep at the half way mark again.

No comments: