Friday, January 25, 2008

He's Not the Messiah, He's a Very Naughty Boy

I’d not seen Messiah before although my mother was a big fan of Ken Stott who used to be its star.

I can’t stand its new star, Marc Warren. I have been known to call him the world’s worst actor (his competition in this category being Jason Statham). I’m not sure why I decided to watch it – I think it was desperation as there really was no other crime shows on. So I wasn’t expecting much. In fact I was expecting to have to turn it off after ten minutes in annoyance at Warren’s bad acting.

But I was pleasantly surprised. As pleasantly surprised as you can be with gruesome killing spree of about 15 people! Although it was essentially another Se7en alike it kept me interested and.I didn’t guess who the murderer was which is quite a rarity.

Warren’s acting was still pretty bad, but he was playing a moody troubled character so that reigned in the worst of his manic over-acting. I did snigger at his wooden insistence that his colleague investigated the sand left at the scene.

I also struggled to take him seriously as a heart-throb. He looks like an Estate Agent. Or a goblin. A Goblin Estate Agent. Its not a look that I’d go for, but somebody out there must like him because he gets more than enough acting jobs.

No comments: