Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Jumping the Shark

After listing the shows that have made me cry, I settled down to watch another episode of Monk. His assistant, Natalie, bumps into Monk’s dead wife Trudie, who claims she faked her own death to protect Monk. Another episode where the loss of his wife is central should have had me reaching for the hankies, but instead I think it is safe to say that this one could be described as ‘jumping the shark’.

Now if you aren’t familiar with that term, I’ll explain. It means when a show has ran out of ideas so does something unbelievable and over-the-top. It originates from an episode of Happy Days, where the Fonz jumps over shark-infested waters on his motorbike.

Were we really expected to believe that Monk’s devoted wife was not dead after all this time, tears and heartache? Not only had she returned, but she murdered an old man? I was finding it hard to believe, but no more so than the final conclusion. I don’t think I’m spoiling too much for anyone in revealing that it wasn’t really the late Mrs Monk, but an impostor. But does anyone really exist that looks so much like another person that even a husband could be deceived (albeit briefly)? I think not.

A plot devise of such silliness not seen since Bobby emerged from the shower in Dallas.

No comments: