Monday, January 28, 2008

Not Psyched by Psych

I watch my first episode of Psych yesterday and I’m still not sure what to make of it. Billed as being from the team behind Monk, I thought it would be worth a watch, but on first impressions it wasn’t in Monk’s league.

It had the same comedic style that Monk has, but was lacking Monk’s heart. The premise is that this young guy, Shawn, is pretending to be a psychic as a way to get involved in helping the police solve their crimes. He isn’t actually psychic, just very observant. It is mildly amusing, but I didn’t really care about him enough.

Whereas with Monk, you want him to succeed because a) he’s a great detective and b) he’s lost his beloved wife, I don’t really know why we should want this impostor to triumph. He has a rival in a real policeman but this rival isn’t dislikeable enough for me to really root for Shawn at his expense.

So I won’t be rushing out to buy the box set or re-arranging my life to watch it again, but I suppose if its on, I’ll give it another chance.

No comments: